Wigs have been a popular way for women to change their hairstyles for centuries. From Marie Antoinette’s towering wigs to Beyonce’s sleek bob, wigs have been a staple in the world of beauty and fashion. Lace braided wigs, in particular, have gained popularity in recent years, especially among black women. These wigs provide a natural and realistic look while also protecting and promoting healthy hair growth. In this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about lace braided wigs for black women, including how to choose the right wig, how to care for it, and more.
What are Lace Braided Wigs?
Lace braided wigs are wigs that feature a lace base and braided hair. The lace base is typically made of Swiss lace, which is thin and durable, and it is attached to the scalp with glue or tape. The braids are either hand-braided or machine-braided and are typically made of human hair or synthetic hair.
These wigs can come in a variety of styles, including box braids, cornrows, twists, and more. They are often used as a protective style, especially for black women who want to give their hair a break from styling and manipulation. Lace braided wigs provide the illusion of a full head of braids or twists, without having to sit for hours in a salon chair.
Benefits of Lace Braided Wigs for Black Women
There are several benefits to wearing lace braided wigs, especially for black women. Here are a few of them:
- Protection: Lace braided wigs are a great way to protect your natural hair from styling and manipulation. Braids and twists can be tight and put stress on the hair, which can lead to breakage and damage. Wearing a lace braided wig allows you to achieve the look without putting stress on your natural hair.
- Versatility: Lace braided wigs come in a variety of styles and lengths, giving you the versatility to switch up your look without committing to a permanent hairstyle. You can change your wig to match your mood, outfit, or occasion.
- Convenience: Lace braided wigs are easy to put on and take off, making them a convenient option for busy women who don’t have a lot of time to spend on their hair. They also require less maintenance than natural hair or traditional braids.
- Confidence: A lace braided wig can boost your confidence by giving you a new and polished look. It can also help cover any hair loss or thinning that you may be experiencing.
Choosing the Right Lace Braided Wig
Choosing the right lace braided wig can be overwhelming, especially if you are new to wigs. Here are some things to consider when selecting a wig:
- Material: Lace braided wigs can be made of human hair or synthetic hair. Human hair wigs are more expensive but look and feel more natural. Synthetic wigs are more affordable and come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Style: Lace braided wigs come in a variety of styles, including box braids, cornrows, twists, and more. Choose a style that matches your personality and preferences.
- Length: Lace braided wigs come in different lengths, from short to long. Consider your lifestyle and how much maintenance you are willing to put into your wig when choosing a length.
- Color: Lace braided wigs come in a variety of colors, including natural shades of black, brown, and blonde, as well as bold and bright colors. Choose a color that complements your skin tone and personal style.
- CapSize: Lace braided wigs come in different cap sizes, including small, medium, and large. It’s important to measure your head to determine the correct size for your wig. To measure your head, use a soft tape measure to measure around the circumference of your head, just above your ears and across your forehead.
- Lace Color: Lace braided wigs come with different lace colors, including transparent, light brown, medium brown, and dark brown. Choose a lace color that matches your skin tone for a natural look.
- Density: Lace braided wigs come in different densities, which refers to how thick the hair is on the wig. Higher density wigs have more hair and look more voluminous, while lower density wigs have less hair and look more natural. Consider the occasion and your personal preferences when choosing the density of your wig.
Caring for Lace Braided Wigs
Proper care and maintenance of your lace braided wig is crucial for keeping it looking its best and extending its lifespan. Here are some tips for caring for your wig:
- Brush your wig daily with a wig brush or wide-tooth comb to detangle the hair and prevent matting.
- Wash your wig every 2-3 weeks with a mild shampoo and conditioner, and let it air dry on a wig stand.
- Use a heat protectant spray before using any heat styling tools, such as a flat iron or curling iron, on your wig.
- Store your wig on a wig stand to maintain its shape and prevent tangling.
- Avoid sleeping in your wig, as this can cause matting and damage.
- How long can I wear a lace braided wig?
Lace braided wigs can be worn for up to 4-6 weeks before needing to be taken off for maintenance and cleaning.
- Can I swim or exercise in my lace braided wig?
It is not recommended to swim or exercise in your lace braided wig, as sweat and chlorine can damage the wig and cause tangling.
- How do I put on a lace braided wig?
To put on a lace braided wig, first, braid your hair or wear a wig cap. Next, apply adhesive or tape to the perimeter of the lace base and carefully place the wig on your head, starting at the front and working your way back.
- How do I clean my lace braided wig?
To clean your lace braided wig, mix a mild shampoo and conditioner in a bowl of cool water. Gently swish the wig in the water, being careful not to scrub or twist the hair. Rinse the wig with cool water and gently pat it dry with a towel. Let the wig air dry on a wig stand.
Lace braided wigs are a popular and versatile option for black women who want to switch up their hairstyle while protecting their natural hair. When choosing a wig, consider factors such as material, style, length, color, cap size, lace color, and density. Proper care and maintenance of your wig are crucial for keeping it looking its best and extending its lifespan. With the right wig and proper care, you can achieve a natural and beautiful look without sacrificing the health of your natural hair.